FR incident archive

Source-backed homicide and attempted homicide records documented in FR. This page summarizes the archive's documented floor for the country; it is not an official total or a representative sample.

Read the methodology and limitations

Documented records
14
Cities represented
10
Latest incident date
15 August 2026
Latest review
16 August 2026

Documented floor by year

YearDocumented hereOfficial reference
202613 records
20231 record

No Eurostat reference series is currently loaded for FR.

Current judicial status

Latest judicial-status entries

  1. Villeurbanne, FR

    Alleged on · incident date

  2. Montpellier, FR

    Charged on · incident date

  3. Toulouse, FR

    Alleged on · incident date

  4. Nice, FR

    Alleged on · incident date

  5. Paris, FR

    Charged on · incident date

  6. Lyon, FR

    Charged on · incident date

  7. Paris, FR

    Alleged on · incident date

  8. Toulon, FR

    Charged on · incident date

Latest documented records

  1. Attempted homicide in villeurbanne, FR

    · Alleged · 2 sources

    A 16-year-old boy was shot and seriously wounded on a public street in Villeurbanne, in the Lyon metropolitan area, at around 1am on Saturday 15 August 2026. He was hit in the abdomen and in one calf and was taken to the Édouard Herriot hospital in Lyon, where he was admitted with his life in danger. According to a police source, two people fled the scene after the shooting, and cartridge cases of 7.62 and 7.65 mm calibre were recovered there. A source close to the case said the attackers were travelling on scooters and were armed with a long gun and a handgun, and placed the shooting in the Grandclément quarter. The Lyon public prosecutor's office said an investigation was opened on 15 August for attempted murder by an organised gang, transport and possession of a weapon, and criminal association, and was entrusted to the Rhône organised and specialised crime division. No arrest had been reported in connection with this shooting at the time of the cited report.

  2. Attempted homicide in toulouse, FR

    · Alleged · 1 source

    Two municipal police officers were attacked with a bladed weapon in Toulouse on the evening of Monday 10 August 2026. They were on patrol with a third officer in the city's streets when a man set upon them. One officer was wounded in the arm and the neck, the other in the elbow. Both were taken to the Rangueil teaching hospital and neither was in a life-threatening condition. The Toulouse public prosecutor's office opened an investigation for attempted murder of persons holding public authority, and assigned it to the organised and specialised crime division. The attacker was reported to have made remarks of a terrorist character during the attack. The prosecutor said that such remarks could not in themselves make the act a terrorist offence, though they made it necessary to examine the assailant's motives, and that only the investigation — after an assessment of his personality and record — would determine whether the national anti-terrorism prosecution service took over the case.

  3. Homicide in montpellier, FR

    · Charged · 7 sources

    A 16-year-old boy was fatally stabbed during a brawl in Montpellier late on the evening of Sunday 9 August 2026. The attack took place at about 11.20pm on the allée Alberto Giacometti, near the Georges Charpak park in the Port-Marianne district in the east of the city, close to a children's play area. Two groups of young people aged between 16 and 19 — at least seven in all, according to witnesses — fought for reasons that have not been established. One of them drew a knife and struck a minor from the rival group twice, once in the arm and once fatally in the chest. The attackers fled the scene on scooters. A doctor and his partner, a nurse, who lived nearby gave first aid including cardiac massage, the victim being in cardio-respiratory arrest. He was taken to the CHU Lapeyronie and died there at around 2am. Three people were taken into police custody over the killing. On the Monday morning a 17-year-old presented himself at a Montpellier police station, describing himself as the person who inflicted the knife wounds. On Wednesday 12 August he was placed under formal investigation for murder and remanded in provisional detention.

  4. Homicide in nice, FR

    · Alleged · 3 sources

    A 17-year-old boy was killed on Monday 3 August 2026 in the Madeleine district of Nice. His father, a 59-year-old care assistant, contacted police that afternoon saying he had just killed his son and intended to take his own life. Taken into custody on leaving hospital on suspicion of murder with premeditation, the suspect made initial admissions during questioning. According to a statement from the Nice public prosecutor's office, he said he had smothered his son with a pillow over his face and then strangled him with an iron cable, before placing the body in a body bag he had taken from his workplace at a hospital months or years earlier. He attributed the killing to a breakdown against the background of a marital separation. At the end of his police custody he was expected to be brought before the Nice prosecutor's office on Thursday ahead of the opening of a judicial investigation for murder with premeditation.

  5. Attempted homicide in paris, FR

    · Alleged · 3 sources

    Three women were wounded with kitchen knives on the morning of Monday 27 July 2026 at the Porte de Clichy tram stop, in the 17th arrondissement of Paris. The attack took place at about 11:30. The victims were aged 19, 24 and 36. Two of them were struck in the lower back and in the abdomen and were initially in a serious condition, but their lives were not in danger; the woman wounded in the abdomen was eight months pregnant. The third was wounded in the shoulder. A 31-year-old man armed with two kitchen knives was arrested at the scene at 11:35 by an off-duty police officer. He was taken into custody on suspicion of attempted murder. He was known to psychiatric services, and the following day his police custody was lifted on psychiatric grounds and he was taken to the psychiatric infirmary of the Paris police prefecture. No charge has been reported.

  6. Attempted homicide in rennes, FR

    · Charged · 1 source

    The victim, a 29-year-old woman, was found on the ground at the foot of a building in Rennes on July 15 wearing only underwear bottoms, one wrist tied with a rope, and with multiple fractures from a roughly 10-metre fall from the 4th floor. She told investigators that her partner, motivated by jealousy, had assaulted her, forced her to undress, prevented her from fleeing the home, and tied one of her hands before pushing her as she tried to reach the balcony. The suspect, a 28-year-old man, was arrested, formally charged with attempted homicide, and jailed; he disputes intent to kill, claiming she fell on her own while he tried to catch her.

  7. Homicide in toulon, FR

    · Charged · 1 source

    A man was shot dead in Toulon, in the Var, during the week of 13 to 19 July 2026. He and his attacker had argued beforehand and had arranged to meet through social media. The attacker waited at a concealed position and fired twice at the victim's car as it arrived at the agreed place; one round struck the driver in the head, and the vehicle crashed. Emergency services took him to the nearest hospital in a critical condition, where he died shortly afterwards. Several witnesses told French police they had seen the suspect carrying a firearm near the scene. The gunman fled. French investigators established that people close to him had given him money and driven him by road to Barcelona so that he could leave the European Union as soon as possible. The Toulon public prosecutor's office issued an international arrest order on the day of the killing, and French authorities issued a European Arrest and Surrender Order and asked the Spanish National Police for assistance. Officers from the fugitives group of the provincial judicial police brigade placed the hotel where he was believed to be staying under surveillance and arrested him there on 24 July 2026. A Barcelona court ordered his immediate surrender to France, where the offence carries a sentence of life imprisonment.

  8. Homicide in paris, FR

    · Alleged · 1 source

    A young man, about 20 years old, was fatally stabbed in the heart on a street in the 18th arrondissement of Paris, on boulevard Ornano, shortly before 9 p.m. following a dispute with the suspect. The suspect fled the scene and was being actively sought by police.

  9. Homicide in toulouse, FR

    · Alleged · 1 source

    Les secours sont intervenus au domicile d'une femme âgée d'une cinquantaine d'années à la demande de sa famille, sans nouvelles d'elle.

  10. Homicide in toulon, FR

    · Charged · 2 sources

    A-t-on affaire à une famille de serial killers ? Une mère et ses deux fils sont soupçonnés d'avoir tué deux militaires à Toulon, dans le Var. Ils ont été mis en examen et placés en détention après la découverte des corps. Ils auraient aussi séquestré sept autres personnes.

  11. Homicide in narbonne, FR

    · Charged · 1 source

    Un jeune de 17 ans confié à l'aide sociale à l'enfance est décédé après avoir été battu à mort lors d'un guet-apens. Cinq jeunes hommes âgés de 16 à 20 ans ont été mis en examen pour assassinat dans cette affaire.

  12. Homicide in nantes, FR

    · Alleged · 1 source

    Draft summary pending moderator review.

  13. Homicide in lyon, FR

    · Charged · 2 sources

    A far-right activist was fatally injured in Lyon on 12 February 2026 during violent confrontations between two groups on the margins of a conference given by a left-wing MEP at the city's Sciences Po campus. He died of his injuries two days later. Video of the confrontation published by a national weekly on 17 February shows two groups of about ten people fighting, with a crutch, an umbrella, a tear-gas canister and a smoke flare used. Nine people have been placed under judicial examination in the investigation into the death — eight for intentional homicide and one, a former parliamentary assistant to a left-wing MP, for complicity in murder by instigation. All nine are in pre-trial detention, and three investigating magistrates are handling the case. In July 2026 two of those charged filed complaints with the Lyon public prosecutor against fifteen far-right activists present on 12 February, alleging premeditated violence committed in a group, with weapons and with concealed faces. That complaint falls under a separate preliminary investigation into the conduct of the far-right group, which is being conducted independently of the homicide investigation. A lawyer for one of the charged men argues the two proceedings are inseparable and that evidence gathered in the preliminary investigation is being withheld from the magistrates investigating the death.

  14. Homicide in paris, FR

    · Charged · 1 source

    A woman was stabbed to death on the morning of Monday 20 March 2023 in the entrance hall of an apartment building on a quiet street in the 12th arrondissement of Paris, not far from the place de la Bastille. Her attacker, wearing a black motorcycle helmet, a blue surgical mask, black motorcycle gloves and a blue Deliveroo delivery bag, stabbed her repeatedly in the throat and chest. Around ten schoolchildren witnessed the attack through the glazed door of the building, and adults alerted by their cries were unable to intervene because the door was locked. The victim's husband is accused of her murder. Investigators found that the killing had been meticulously prepared, with a financial motive, and that the delivery-rider disguise was part of that preparation. He is committed for trial before an assize court in January; the source gives the month without the year.